Should I get a costume? Should I accessorise?
Dressing up for your murder mystery party is tons of fun. You can accessorise with things you already have lying around the house or visit your local dollar shop to see what you can find.
If you’re feeling adventurous you could even hire a costume for your murder mystery party. It adds to the spirit of the night and can make for some really great photos afterwards.
At the end of the day this is your party experience, so if you really don’t want to, you don’t have to dress up. However, if you haven’t done the dress up thing before, we highly recommend you give it a try.
Whatever you decide to do (dress up or simply turn up) remember our golden rule: Have fun.
Costume ideas for your murder mystery.
Usually when you attend a murder mystery you get a character to play. So first things first, have a look at your character details and see what ideas spring to mind. Are you a member of the Mafia, a politician, a princess or a showgirl?
Look and see what you’ve got lying around that might match your character’s description. If you’ve got nothing to hand or you’re just stumped for ideas, check out these links to some Sydney-based online costume shops for some inspiration.
Accessory ideas for your murder mystery.
- Feather Boas
- Fancy jewels
- Toy handcuffs
- Toy stethoscope – Does your character have some medical training?
- Toy guns – Perhaps you are a member of the mafia?
- Cameras – Are you a press photographer?
- Eye patch – This can give a sinister edge to your character.
- White gaffer tape – Do an outline of a body on the floor.
- A bottle of wine – Take the label off and stick a skull and cross bones on it. Everyone will think you’re the murderer.
- Microphone – Perhaps your character is a singer.
One more thing.
At the end of the day your character description is just a guide, so it goes without saying you are free to interpret your character anyway you like. So get creative and have some fun.